A group of 27 Namibian students are still stuck in Wuhan in China’s Hubei province, the epicentre of the lethal novel coronavirus outbreak which has claimed 565 lives and counting.

The students have been under lockdown since the outbreak and their evacuation from the danger zone remains unclear.

The World Health Organisation last week issued an emergency warning after the number of confirmed cases linked to the deadly virus is reportedly now 28 334 with most of the cases being in China.


Despite these overwhelming figures, the 27 Namibian students in Wuhan are yet to receive feedback from the Namibian Embassy in Beijing or Windhoek regarding their situation.


Speaking to CND-News from Beijing on Thursday, the President of Namibian Students Association in China, Junias Haufiku confirmed that the students are still under lockdown and they are waiting on the Namibian government to come to the aid of the stranded students


“We submitted the names of the student section in Wuhan to the embassy as requested and now we are waiting for feedback,” said Haufiku.


“The student community in China collected a few funds and we gave each of the 27 students a ¥100 (N$213) for items they might need urgently,” he added.


Namibian Ambassador to China Elia George Kaiyamo told CND-News: “The government is properly briefed and I advise that you touch base with the government especially the Ministry of International Relations and Cooperation.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here